Wednesday, October 21, 2009

How I build the custom Contemporary Arched Bed - Part 3

Making the headboard and footboard panels -

After gluing up the the headboard and footboard panels, cutting them to their length and width, I proceed to mill the tenon which will fit the mortise I created in the leg.  The next thing that I did was to lay out and cut the arch on the top of the panel followed by rounding over all the edges of the panel with a 1/4" roundover bit in my router.














Before I can glue the panel to the legs I mill the panel to accept the bed hardware.  The area shown below will house the hardware that accepts the hooks on the ends of the bed rails.  Although the panels are just 3/4" thick, the backside of this area butts into the leg which will allow me to use longer screws to go through the panel and into the leg, providing extra strength in the construction.















Here is the panel all ready to be glued to the legs:


















And here is a shot of the panel next to the leg, oriented in the way in which they will be glued together:














Here are photos of the headboard and the footboard in clamps after gluing:
















Soon I'll post the final, assembled bed.

Thanks for reading,
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment